This article outlines a platform for enhanced performance in oil and gas-a guide to seven strategic drivers with both short and long-term implications and opportunities for performance improvement across the entire value chain. The set of drivers can be considered warnings signals that, if not considered and addressed, can potentially cripple an organization. Or they can be seen as guideposts to creating a thriving workforce and enabling the enterprise to achieve new and unprecedented levels of sustainable productivity and performance.
The Seven Drivers for Positive Disruption
Mercer has identified seven drivers for positive disruption that will help organizations pivot from reactive to proactive strategic growth:
- Organic Transformation: Business, financial, and workforce modelling are the cornerstones of defining the future and identifying the path forward.
- Inorganic Transformation: Organizations with world-class M&A competence define their transaction infrastructures and governance protocols well in advance of a deal.
- Lean Optimization: Organizations will have to continue to do more with less – impacting attraction, retention, and engagement. However, employers can turn this challenge into a differentiation opportunity by making the best strategic choices in reallocating human capital investments across the employer value proposition.
- Organizational Design: Significant long-term opportunity lies within an organizational structure. Assessment of the firm’s state of change readiness and core change competency is critical.
- Resilient Workforce: Organizations that thrive in the future will have built and nurtured a culture of change champions-not just within the leadership ranks but across the entire organization.
- Workforce of the future: Preparing for the future starts with fully understanding the primary forces of change for a specific business and developing a broad model of the future.
- HR Business Design: To lead and advance the organization, the HR function must understand its strengths and opportunities and define a path for greater contribution and effectiveness.